September 26, 2011

 

Falling Through Fall

So, I feel like I'm back to falling through Fall again, as it is often a very rough abuse "anniversary" time for me.  But, I've done a lot of therapy (and continue to do so) and I'm finding that I am better now at picking myself up again.


What I want to do here is an update on how my son is doing.  After he came up dirty on a UA for pot, we put our son on random UA testing.  He goes in and pees in a cup every seven to ten days on a random basis.  I thought that he was making wiser decisions and we were in a period of rebuilding trust.  Unfortunately, on Friday I got the results back for another dirty UA, this time for synthetic THC.


Friday was a hell of a day.  Not only did we get the dirty UA results, but my son got a $250 graphing/geometry calculator stolen out of his backpack, too.  So, the boy's house where he was at is now off limits, and so is that entire geographic area, near the local mall, etc.


But, I want to use this opportunity--if anyone is still reading this blog at all--to tell you about the synthetic THC.  It is bad news.  If you are the parent of a young adult or teenager, I urge you to educate yourself on this nasty substance.
  
Here is Colorado, it is often called "Colorado Chronic."  It also goes by the more common names of K2 and Spice.  It is sold as incense and is still legal (even for minors!) in some states.  It consists of some kind of "organic" material that is sprayed with JWH-018 or some other chemical form of synthetic cannabinoid.  It is usually many times stronger that the THC found in marijuana.  It causes rapid heart rate, anxiety and sometimes delusional states that have lead smokers to violence and suicide.


When states try to ban it, the chemists go in and tweak the formula, rendering it legal again.  Many states are struggling with the loop holes that this street drug slips through.  I have heard that there are also "bath salts" on the market that kids are smoking as well.  The two main reasons why these drugs have become so popular, especially with young kids and people in the military (or other situations where they undergo drug tests regularly), are as follows:  1)  The drug often does not show up on routine drug tests. 2) The drug is sold as incense or some other legal substance and is available even to minors.


Luckily, my son's therapist has found a drug counselor here in town who will send urine samples in to the Redwood Toxicology Laboratory in Santa Rosa, California, and they do, indeed, test for synthetic pot.
  
For all of you who have shown your concern and support, I thank you very much.  I want you to know that my husband and I are very much involved in our son's therapy and in being aware of what is going on in his teen-aged life, providing structure, limits and consequences as appropriate to help him get back on track.  God, I love that kid!

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments:
Your last words are how I feel about my son too - I love him more than anything and would literally do anything I could to get him off drugs.

You, my dear, are doing all the right things. You are on the right track and have the opportunity to keep your son from getting more involved than he already is. I wish I would have known all I know now when my son was a teen - but he went from smoking pot to shooting heroin, just like that.

I am not trying to scare you, my son has a lot of other issues going on and doing drastic things is part of his personality.

Also, I don't want to scare you with this thought either, but as a mom that is always on "high alert" there are lots of things that trigger my suspicion: are you sure your son's calculator was stolen? My son sold everything of value of his own, then started stealing from us and selling our things. I am not suggesting this is the case, but he has to be getting the money to buy that stuff somewhere.

Gosh, I feel bad for saying all this, but you know my intention is only to warn you in a way I wish someone would have warned me. I care about you and your precious son!
 
Marji thank you for the update. Always glad to see a post here and there from you. ((((Marj))))
 
Thanks, JBR! Nice to "see" you, too!

Barbara: Thanks for your thoughtful comment. I'm pretty sure his calculator WAS stolen. A kid that I've told Daniel to stay away from held his backpack for ransom about two weeks ago. My son paid him $20 to get it back. I think he figured out that he had something valuable in there if he was willing to pay for it back. I think this same boy stole the calculator (out of my son's friend's bedroom) and probably pawned it for drug money.

But, you're right. I will be on the lookout for that kind of thing. I already learned the hard way not to let my son have any more than $5 at a time. Boy, did I feel like a sucker when I figured that one out. :P I am sending positive vibes for you and your family with your challenges being faced right now.
 
What a tough situation you have with your son! That must be so difficult. I had not heard of the insence, but I have heard of the bath salts. Unfortunately these days kids are using caustic legal chemicals, most of which do more harm physically than the illicit substances do. It's really sad----

I admire your commitment and courage to face this issue with your son. It sounds as if you are setting limits and doing so with love.
 
I just wanted to say that I am a recent victim of rape. I am serching the web looking for sites that will be able to help me. I want to let you know that I will become a follower of your blog and I would appreciate it if you will do the same for me. I am really needing the extra support. Thanks beautiful-survivor.blogspot.com
 
Lothlorien: Thanks for stopping by my blog, even though I'm not updating very often these days. I appreciate the support.

Beautiful Survivor: Thanks for the visit. I understand the need for extra support. I will check out your blog and try to leave some support ideas for you.
 
So sorry you have to go through this. Your son is lucky that he has someone to stand by him even when he is unable to control himself.
 
Good Job.....
 
This can be such a tough season. I wish you all the best in dealing with your son's difficulties. As if it isn't hard enough growing up without throwing that stuff in there.
Trying my own little blog carnival for World Mental Health Day. Would love it if you had a minute to submit a post or two.
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_14661.html
Adventures in Anxiety Land
 
So glad to see you updating Marj. I hope your son knows how much you care about him. It's apparent in your words here and your actions with him. He's a lucky kid to have such a caring mom!
 
Wow! It's been a full month since I updated my poor little neglected blog here. I'll try to get back later today and comment back individually to you guys and maybe even put up a quick update post. Glad to see I'm still remembered in the blogosphere and SO GLAD to see you guys! *hugs*
 
Ohhh sweet friend I am sorry that this all went on. I also appologize for my absense lately. I hope that since your posting of this things have gotten better.
Fall is also a tough time for me as well. My heart goes out to you sweet friend.
 
Hey, sweet Jade! Yes, things have gotten better since this post and I just put up a quick update blog post. I will stop by and say hello. Thank YOU for stopping by to see me. *hugs*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?